About the Camp
7:00 » Rise and Shine!
7:45 » Morning Prayer
8:00 » Breakfast
9:00 » Formation, Activities, Other
11:30 » Mass
12:30 » Lunch and Small Group Game/Staff Monitored Leisure Time
1:30 » Activities
6:00 » Dinner!
7:30 » Evening Scene followed by Camp Fire & Night Prayer
9:30 » Prepare for Bed & Song of Slumber
10:00 » Lights Out!
Captivenia, a program of Catholic Kids Net, Inc., operates as an independent not-for-profit summer camp program for girls, ages 8 – 17. Although we work in close collaboration with the Catholic Diocese of Calgary, to ensure the highest calibre program, we do not receive any funding through the Diocese or government grants. The cost you see reflects the amount we need for the camp to run. We rely on the support of generous benefactors and on fund-raising initiatives by our team of committed of Missionaries to subsidize camper fees. For example, the Bellesera fee covers approximately 75% of their total expense, and the fee for Maidens is likewise subsidized. As a further gift to the girls, we ask all adults (18+) who generously serve as members of the Mission Team, to cover their base camp costs (food, water, etc).
We understand that this can be a high investment for families who are hoping to send more than one Bellesera or Maiden to Captivenia. For families who need a bit of assistance, we are happy to offer a payment plan. Please email our Administrator to discuss payment options.
Additionally, please check out our Camper Fundraising Ideas page which shares a variety of fundraising activities for campers to undertake to offset their own camping fees.
There are many wonderful locations for your family to set up and enjoy a bit of the Kananaskis country, as it is not permitted for families to camp on the Britton Property. You can Google search any of the following (and more):
1) Sandy McNabb Campground is located approximately 25 km west of Turner Valley
2) Blue Rock Campground is located approximately 40 km west of Turner Valley
3) Foothills Lions Campground, Centennial Park, Black Diamond, AB Ph: (403)933-5785
4) Hell’s Half Acre Campground, Turner Valley, AB Ph: (403)933-8538
5) Okotoks Lions Sheep River Campground, Okotoks, AB Ph: (403)938-4282
Many parents ask why we incorporate the concepts of 'good and evil' in our storyline. In the most basic answer, it is our goal to parallel Christ and the absence of Christ. As Catholics, we believe that 'all good things have their source in God because his essence is perfect goodness.’ Evil is then the deprivation of that goodness. It is when we have turned our hearts away from God. This is a reality that many people try desperately to ignore.
At Captivenia, we do not ignore this! With this in mind, when the girls enter into our, well thought-out storyline, they are embarking on a journey that will see those two realities. Evil is represented by a character who has turned his/her hearts away from the King. In doing this, they become self-centred, corrupted, prideful and mean. Sometimes, they can look downright ugly.
Using virtues as their weapons, the girls assist in the battle between good and evil. Making it even clearer, that when a situation gets difficult or seems hopeless, or when you are scared and feel alone, your relationship with "The King" will guide you. We don't need to hide or cower away, but to stand confident knowing that with Christ, we can overcome evil.
We have a First Aid Responder available around the clock in case a camper is sick or injured.
She is in close contact with the staff and Camp Director. In case of an emergency, air ambulance is on call for us and aware of the camp location. For all other medical needs, the Oilfields Hospital is 18 minutes away. If your child is ill, injured, or homesick, the Program Director, Administrator or First Aid Supervisor will notify you. We partner with you to be sure your child is safe, healthy, and happy.
We do have a camp phone available from July 17-27, 2019.
Valerie Doran: (403)671-1290
We work with families on a case-by-case basis to determine if we are the right camp for your child. We regularly have campers who take medications or have allergies. Please review the camp medication policy. Our First Aid Supervisor can handle most situations, but if you are concerned, please contact us prior to registering your child and speak with the Camp Director.
Money is not needed during camp. We do sell souvenir items during registration and at the end of camp, or you may order them during registration.
Due to the unique format and size of our program, we are unable to accommodate these types of requests. Although in past years we did endeavour to accommodate, due to the high number of special requests we received each year and the time investment needed from our volunteer team to try and coordinate all these requests, we made the decision in 2017 to no longer offer these accommodations. We do provide girls to the opportunity to visit and sit with their friends at meal times.
Yes! We welcome youth of all backgrounds to Captivenia. Please note that all campers attend faith activities and Mass, regardless of faith.
We do not have paid staff, rather we have a Missionary Team (adults 18+). These individuals cover the cost of their base camp fees. Catholic Kids Net, Inc., has set a high bar to ensure excellence with regards to ensuring a Safe Environment for all program participants. Adults interested in being part of our program must complete the following screening and training:
1) Mission Team Application
2) Interview with Camp Leadership (includes Reference checks)
Once approved, each volunteer must:
1) Read Catholic Kids Net, Inc., Safe Environment Manual (Abuse Prevention Policies & Protocols)
2) Provide a Vulnerable Sector check. (Police Check)
3) Provide Intervention Record Check/Child Welfare Check.
4) Compete Abuse Prevention Training Courses Annually.
This training covers a variety of topics including how to teach activities, manage behaviour, deal with homesickness, resolve conflicts, prevent child abuse, and handle many other camp-specific areas.
5) Complete Mission Team Service Agreement (Catholic Kids Net, Inc.)
Please do not send food with your camper (child). Food is absolutely not allowed in sleeping tents due to local wildlife.
For members of the Adult Missionary Team who may need to supplement meals, you are required to store food in your vehicle. Note that we will not have fridge storage for food available. You will be able to replenish ice at the local Hi Ho in Turner Valley. Please prepare for this and do not rely on others to make shopping runs for you. If you have questions or concerns, please contact the Administration Team. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Registration & Website
INSTRUCTIONS T0 UPLOAD PHOTO(s)
As the Camp Brain System does not currently allow us to configure for the uploading of photo(s) during the registration process, we have created a work around, whereby photos are uploaded once registration is completed.
1. To upload a photo you will first need to complete the registration process by choosing your method of payment.
2. Once payment is chosen you will be redirected to "Application Submitted." On this page you will see a green button: "View Details"
3. Click on the "View Details" button and it will take you to the Family Registration page showing all details of your registration.
4. In the bottom lefthand corner is the section "Upload Documents." Please upload a current headshot of your child and/or yourself here.
Thank you in advance for assisting us with this need.
To order additional items, make payments, or update medical and personal information after you have registered.
1) Go to website: https://captivenia.campbrainregistration.com/
2) Log in using the email address and password you used to register Camper. If you forget your password, please click "Password Reset" and follow the instructions.
3) Under "View My Registrations", you will see a list of the camps you have registered for. Click the button "View Details" beside the camp registration you want to view/edit.
4) You will be directed to a page with a summary of your registration and other details. Click on the area you want to edit.